My first load test
So I took an attempt at running a load test in visual studio 2010. It was actually easy enough for me to do. I started by creating a simple ASP.NET solution. I added a couple of pages, some links and some controls for user input.
I then created a new test project within the solution. The next step was to create a test, so I added a web performance test to the test project and it recorded me clicking through the website and providing input. Now that a test is created, I could add a new load test to the test project.
When selecting to add the load test, the wizard pretty much walks you through all of the settings. After going through the wizard, I did have to change the properties of the test settings (in the properties window) to set the storage to none instead of server. This means that the results are stored in a file instead of in a SQL database.
The process was real easy - I was able to create and run this very simple test in about an hour. I used the recorder in VS to create the test, which worked for one scenario. When we use test manager to run manual tests, we’ll be able to use the recordings of those to create the scenarios to be used during the load test.