As a quick diversion from my Blackberry development, I took some time to build a mobile proof of concept site using these few requirements:
1. The site should run on a host of mobile devices
2. The site is public access
3. The mobile site should reflect a subset of the current public website.
The After researching some options, I decided on executing my approach with the JQuery Mobile framework. I made this decision because HTML 5, my first choice, was out due to browser incompatibility. I looked into JQTouch as a possible option, but, again, browser support was lacking.
The POC only took me about an hour to complete as I was using dummy data and the requirements were very scarce. I am happy with the result, overall, and looks very good on the iPad, iPhone, Android emulator, and Blackberry emulators. It is even clean on desktop Chrome and IE8.
If you have a few minutes to blow, check out this tutorial. The only think that I covered in my POC that was not included in this quick read was direct-dial link buttons for phone numbers:
(Scroll down the page for “Creating a Website Using JQuery Mobile” parts 1,2, and 3.)